Click Below to View the Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Bed Removed and Frame Exposed

April 28, 2018

Today I removed the bed from the truck. I found that the body shop did not secure it very well (I am seeing a pattern here unfortunately). 4 bolts were secure, 2 were completely missing and 2 were glued in the hole - no nuts! I took my first look at the frame and thought that I had a lot of work to do to clean it up, but after a closer inspection, it's mostly just dirt... you can see in one of the below pics were I gave it a little spit shine.

The home made rear mount fuel tank that you see in the pictures, I built back in about 1992 in metal shop. I wanted the tank out of the cab so that I could put speakers behind the seat. It is just black steel and was never treated inside. I am sure it is full of rust and the gasoline in it smells horrible (as expected). It will be removed and replaced. The rear bumper came off a 92 or 93 F150, it's going too. Fuel line is getting replaced. Shocks have very low miles on them, we will see what happens there? Tires look good too. No cracking or weathering at all. Though they are old, they are still holding air.  I am not sure if they will need to be replaced or not.

I noticed right away that the pinion seal is shot and there is rear end oil everywhere. I am sure it was leaking for while before I parked it. The tail/stop light wiring is all messed up. I will be removing all of the connectors and splices, soldering/repairing where needed and put it back in. Brake lines look good but I will be replacing the rubber brake hose on the rear axle. I will replace and re-route the fuel line as needed. Most everything else back here looks good.

Here are today's pics.







No comments:

Post a Comment