Click Below to View the Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Gas Filler Neck Hole Repair

When I did the first build of this truck int he early 1990's, I removed the fuel tank from inside the cab. During the body work, I had the filler neck hole covered. I manufactured and installed a tank behind the rear axle. In this build, I am replacing that homemade tank which I cover in another post. But I now am stuck with a hole int eh side of the bad that I don't want. I am not going to have it filled and painted so I need to create a plug of sorts to fill this hole.


Here is what I am working with. You can see the large filler neck hole in the back portion of the bed.


After much thought, I decided that I would cut a round piece of aluminum, form it, polish it to a high shine and then use a chrome carriage bolt to hold it in place.

It is hard to see in the below photo, but the plug does have a curve to it to match the side of the bed. I used a 3" piece of pipe to form the curve into the plug. The hole was made square with a square rat tail file. I used a power drill with a buffing wheel to get the shine.




Here you can see the back side. I used a nylon locking nut and a piece of black steel which i later primed and painted. This will be installed before I spray in my bed liner so that it matches the inside of the bed. I used a piece of vinyl to create a type of gasket to protect the paint.



Here is the finished product.





No comments:

Post a Comment